- What do new developers using Clio's API get emailed to them?
- What do we provide developers using Clio's API?
- What happens after you agree to Clio's Developer Terms of Service?
- Clio Developer Portal
You can sign up to become a Clio API partner at the following link: https://www.clio.com/partnerships/developers/
Whether you intend to publish your work to the Clio Platform App Directory or use it within your firm, integrating your app with Clio is a powerful opportunity to enhance and customize your Clio experience and take advantage of all the functionality that Clio offers. The following is the body of the email (in plain text) that new API Partners are automatically sent upon sign up:
Table of Contents
We are excited that you looking to develop on the Clio platform. Follow the steps below to Learn, Build & Release.
The Clio API gives you and your approved developers secure access to the data in your Clio account. All Clio accounts, including free 7-day trial accounts, can be accessed using the documented Clio API. Learn how to make requests and receive data programmatically today (no need for lengthy signups or approvals).
- Request a 7-day free trial account using your development team’s email address & phone number here: https://www.clio.com/getstarted
- Login, create test data in the account and then navigate to: https://app.clio.com/settings/developer_applications to add a client application and generate an App Key & App Secret.
- Use the App Key and App Secret as described in the Clio API to read & write data in your 7-day free trial account. Tools like www.getpostman.com/ can be used for testing.
For a deeper understanding of what to build with the Clio platform we recommend that our integration and app partners take time to understand the challenges that need to be solved for lawyers as they build a better practice. A couple of key resources are listed below:
- https://www.clio.com/2017-legal-trends-report/ - The most comprehensive, in-depth analysis of the legal industry to date provided by Clio.
- https://www.americanbar.org/portals/solo_home/practice-management2.html - American Bar Association solo firm practice management page
Build & Test
When you are ready to build app and integration with Clio and extend your 7-day free trial account to an account that will not expire, please request a developer account. Once enabled navigate to: https://app.clio.com/settings/developer_applications to add a client application and generate an App Key & App Secret to be used with your API calls.
After building & testing your app, submit your work to the Clio App Directory and it will be available to the 150,000 Clio legal practice management software users. Clio’s API partnership team will review all apps and integrations to ensure that they help lawyers build a better practice, comply with both our User License Agreement and our Developer Terms of Service, as well as meet our security standards.
To submit your integration to the App Directory, simply email firstname.lastname@example.org with a link and sample credentials. Once we've reviewed your integration, we'll email you with the required documentation. Once you you have completed the integration review and the required documentation, we will publish your integration to the App Directory.
Resources to Help You:
The Clio Platform provides our partners with the tools needed to be successful. Our API gives your team access to leverage the data stored within an attorney's Clio account to build solutions that help lawyers build a better practice. But Clio supports your team in many more ways. To prepare for your conversation with Clio, please review all of the following:
Clio’s API (Application Programming Interface)
- API V4 documentation - Current: https://app.clio.com/api/v4/documentation
- API V2 documentation - Legacy: http://api-docs.clio.com/v2/ (to be deprecated 15/10/2018)
Clio Platform Self Serve support starts at developer.clio.com .
Technical Q&A and Knowledge Base for Clio Integrations on Stack Overflow:
- Stack Overflow is a question and answer site for professional and enthusiast programmers. 50M users visit each month to ask and answer technical questions about specific implementations and technologies.
- You can search for questions with the [clio-api] tag to find questions that have already been submitted to the Stack Overflow community by developers working with Clio.
- If you have code level issues, Stack Overflow is the best place to leverage the skills of the largest community of experts to troubleshoot your code. Simply submit a question & tag it with the [clio-api] tag and other relevant tags to engage the community for help.
- The team here at Clio don't routinely monitor this community but it is the best place to start to solve any integration questions that are not addressed by the API documentation or the Example Code.
Clio Platform Community channel on Slack at:
- A Clio provided resource with the goal to encourage Clio Developers to connect across the Clio integration community and discuss ideas and legal practice workflows.
- All Clio integration developers who have been approved through the process at https://www.clio.com/become-api-partner/ will be added to the slack group..
- Reach out to members 1:1 with Direct Messages to collaborate
- If you are not able to find a solution to your issue within the Stack Overflow Community & you have found a bug or would like to submit a feature request please submit to email@example.com as the Clio Platform Community Slack Channel is not actively monitored by Clio Staff.
Example Code - Community Resource
- https://github.com/clio/clio-api-demos-v2 (to be deprecated 15/10/2018)
- Ruby Gem Client Library: http://github.com/themis/clio_client
- Clio's Brand Guidelines: https://www.clio.com/brand-assets/brand-guidelines/#19
- Examples not Developed by Clio (no warranties):
- Clio Python Client: https://github.com/DocketAlarm/clio-python-client
- Wordpress Plugin: https://github.com/wp-plugins/lead-to-clio
- Clio - Zapier Integration for task Automation: https://support.clio.com/hc/en-us/articles/203319830-Zapier
Clio regularly engages the legal community with marketing to share advancements in legal practice management and best practices. Clio can help introduce and promote your app with marketing resources that are available to our app & integration partners. Details are summarized in Partner Incentives table. Connect with us at firstname.lastname@example.org when your app reaches the listed category requirements.
We are excited to hear about how we can improve the Clio Platform. If you have worked with the community to solve an issue, but can’t find a resolution because there is a bug with the API not performing as documented, please submit a bug with details of your environment and steps to reproduce to our monitored email account email@example.com
We want to support our Clio Platform partners as you innovate and help lawyers build a better practice. For feature requests, new endpoints or expanded API responses please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.